Aglianico Campania IGT 2018
Aglianico Campania IGT 2018 / Villa Raiano / Campania
Red wine from Italy
The Villa Raiano is located in the town of San Michele di Serino in the hinterland of Naples in the southern Italian region of Campania. The Irpinia is a fertile land, with a network of mountains and hills crossed by rivers and streams. The geographical and climatic conditions make this piece of the southern Apennines a unique and inimitable place for viticulture. The small winery Villa Raiano only grows selected autochthonous grape varieties on around 27 hectares of its own vineyards. Not so well known in the rest of Europe, these wonderful wines still offer potential for new discoveries.
Aglianico is an autochthonous red grape variety grown mainly in the Campania region of southern Italy. It produces powerful and complex wines that are often called the "Barolo of the South". The grape variety needs a lot of sun and warmth to ripen optimally and therefore thrives particularly well in the southern Apennine mountains and in the hilly areas around Mount Vesuvius. Aglianico wines are usually very tannic and can therefore be stored for a long time to develop their full complexity. When young, they often present themselves with aromas of black fruits, spices, and tobacco, while with age they can develop notes of leather, truffles and mushrooms. Besides Campania, the variety is also grown in other regions of southern Italy, such as Basilicata and Puglia.
The vines for Villa Raiano's Aglianico Campania IGT grow with the Guyot trellis, spurred cordon and Avellino pergola training systems on clayey-marly soils at altitudes of 300 to 550 m a.s.l. in the areas of the villages of Castelfranci, Venticano and Bonito near Avellino. The careful manual harvest takes place in the last week of October. After the grapes have been transported in small crates to the winery, they are carefully destemmed and pressed and a classic red wine vinification in steel can begin with daily pumping over and maceration on the skins for about a week. Fermentation takes place in stainless steel tanks at a controlled temperature of 25 to 27ºC. After racking, 50% of the wine is aged in second and third passage French oak barrels for about six months, while the remaining 50% remain in steel in contact with the fine lees for the same period. Finally, bottling takes place in the first week of July in the year following the harvest.
Filled into a beautiful wine glass, this Aglianico shines in a ruby red with clear violet reflections. The nose is immediately delighted with explosive aromas of cocoa, tobacco and fresh fruit. After the first sensation, scents of mulberry, plum and a slightly balsamic note with a hint of menthol are added. On the palate, the dry southern Italian red wine convinces with well-ripened tannins, which merge with a fresh alcoholic structure and a solid taste without astringency. Overall an impeccably crafted wine that combines depth and structure with vibrant and flavorful fruit.
At an optimal drinking temperature of around 14 to 16°C, the Aglianico Campania IGT from Villa Raiano is an excellent companion to all grilled dishes and all types of meat. Perfect with hearty southern Italian home cooking. Try it with a steak or simply solo as a contemplation wine ...
- Vintage: 2018
- Ageing: Dry
- Country: Italy
- Region: Campania
- Volume: 0,75 liters
- Producer and bottler: Villa Raiano - Loc. Cerreto - Via Bosco Satrano, 1 - 83020 San Michele di Serino (AV) - Italia - +39 0825 595663
- Quality Designation: Indicazione Geografica Tipica (IGT)
- Grape: 100% Aglianico.
- Origin of the grapes: The grapes for this wine are grown in the municipalities of Castelfranci, Venticano and Bonito on clay and marl soils in the guyot, cordon and pergola system.
- Winemaking: The vinification takes place in stainless steel with daily circulation and maceration of the skins for about a week. The aging takes place 50% in French oak barrels in the second and third passage for a period of approx. 10 months and 50% also for approx. 10 months in stainless steel in contact with the skins.
- Sensory characteristics: Spicy bouquet of cocoa, tobacco, and fresh fruit with smoky and tarry notes. Dry on the palate with hints of fresh plum and bitter cherry. Firm acidity and well-ripened tannins that are not too bitter.
- Color: Ruby red with purple reflections.
- Alcohol content: 13,5% Vol.
- Residual sugar: 2,0 g/l
- Acidity: 5,4 g/l
- Stopper: Natural cork
- How to serve: Ideal for grilled dishes or just like that. Generally, to all kinds of meat. Try it with a steak.
- Recommended serving temperature: Between 14 and 16°C.
- Allergens: Contains sulfites
- EAN (bottle): 8004123006187
- Scope of supply: 1 bottle of wine 0.75 liters
Aglianico is a red grape that is grown mainly in the Basilicata and Campania. It was introduced more than 2500 years ago by the Greeks as vitis hellenica to Campania and spread up to Puglia and Basilicata. This vine produces well-structures and full-bodied wines with intense tannins and a strong acid. The wines need, because of the high tannin content, some years of maturity to develop their high quality.
Protection of minors: We deliver this article only to adults of unlimited legal capacity and reserve the right to demand appropriate proof of age. The data required for the order, such as name, address, etc., must be provided in full and truthfully.