FURIOSO Perricone Sicilia DOC 2017
"Furioso" Perricone Sicilia DOC 2017 / Assuli / Sicily
Red wine from Italy
The Assuli winery is located in the tranquil town of Mazara del Vallo between the cities of Marsala and Agrigento in western Sicily. Over time, a beautiful company site has developed here, which emerged from a half-timbered complex from the 18th century. Surrounded by rolling hills, modern functionality is combined with a strong connection to the territory.
The origin of the red wine variety Perricone is unknown, and it is currently only cultivated and made into wine in western Sicily. Wines made from this grape variety were very popular up until the 19th century, but due to its lack of resistance to vine diseases, it was cultivated less and less. But because it can produce soft, colourful and alcohol-rich wines with beautiful tannins, it has recently experienced a renaissance.
The climate in Mazara del Vallo in western Sicily, with its mild winters and breezy summers, is ideal for viticulture. Here the grapes thrive on nutrient-rich, loamy soil with a pronounced lime content and balanced nitrogen deposits at an average altitude of 100 to 150m above sea level. The Perricone is grown in espalier training.
The manual harvest takes place from the third decade of September to October, with a variable approach depending on the vintage and the degree of ripeness of the grapes. After the careful pressing, a traditional fermentation with 25 to 30 days of maceration is initiated. The subsequent gentle extraction of the valuable ingredients of the skin takes place at a controlled temperature of 26 to 27°C by traditional pumping over. Assuli's "Furioso" Perricone Sicilia DOC then matures by being stored in large oak barrels for twelve months. This expansion is only complete when this extraordinary red wine has rested in its bottle for another ten to twelve months.
With its intense ruby red, which is still traversed by purple reflections, the Furioso exudes a penetrating bouquet of red, ripe fruits, graphite, and violets. This Sicilian wine is dry and harmonious on the palate. Various aromas of blackberries, black currants, prunes, figs, and dark chocolate develop. Finally, the soft yet gripping tannins ensure a long finish.
At an optimal drinking temperature of around 17 to 18°C, this pure Perricone tastes excellent with paste with strong sauces, roasted or grilled meat and medium-ripened cheeses.
- Vintage: 2017
- Ageing: Dry
- Country: Italy
- Region: Sicily
- Volume: 0,75 liters
- Producer and bottler: Assuli - Via Archi 9 - 91100 Trapani (TP) - Italia - +39 0923 547267
- Quality Designation: Denominazione di Origine Controllata (DOC)
- Grape: 100% Perricone from Mazara del Vallo (TP) in northwestern Sicily.
- Viticulture: The climate in Mazara del Vallo is ideal for viticulture and offers mild winters and breezy summers. The grapes grow on nutrient-rich, loamy soil with a pronounced lime content and balanced nitrogen deposits at an average height of 100 to 150 MAMSL. The wine is grown in a trellis education.
- Winemaking: Traditional fermentation of 25-30 days of maceration. Very gentle extraction by traditional pumping at a temperature of 26-28 ° C. The aging process takes place in large oak barrels and requires 12 months. This is followed by a 10-to-12-month bottle aging.
- Sensory characterization: Penetrating scent of red, ripe fruits, graphite, and violets. The taste is dry with a nice harmony. Aromas of blackberry, black currant, prunes, fig and dark chocolate. The tannins are soft and ensure a long finish.
- Color: Intense ruby red with purple reflections.
- Alcohol content: 13,5 % Vol.
- Residual sugar: 1,4 g/l
- Acidity: 4,6 g/l
- Stopper: Natural cork
- How to serve: This red wine goes well with pasta with strong sauces, meat dishes and medium-aged cheeses.
- Recommended serving temperature: Between 17 and 18°C
- Allergens: Contains sulfites
- Award: Gambero Rosso: 3 GLASSES.
- EAN (bottle): 8057741302124
- Scope of supply: 1 bottle of wine 0.75 liters
The red wine variety PERRICONE is actually only grown and processed into wine in Sicily. The vine produces soft, colourful, and alcoholic wines. Great care must be taken when growing as it is very susceptible to vine diseases.
Protection of minors: We deliver this article only to adults of unlimited legal capacity and reserve the right to demand appropriate proof of age. The data required for the order, such as name, address, etc., must be provided in full and truthfully.