I TRE VESCOVI Barbera d'Asti Superiore DOCG 2018
"I Tre Vescovi" Barbera d'Asti Superiore DOCG 2018 / Vinchio Vaglio / Piedmont
Red wine from Italy
It was one of the first projects by Vinchio Vaglio's winemakers to create a "Superiore" that combined the values of the "terroir" and the knowledge of the winemakers with the aim of producing a high-quality wine that is easy and pleasant to drink and is affordable at the same time. For almost twenty years now, "I Tre Vescovi" has not only been the "flagship" of the winery, but also of the Barbera grape and of the area, which is one of the "core areas" of the UNESCO World Heritage Site "Wine Landscapes of Piedmont". The name "I Tre Vescovi" which means "The Three Bishops" should indicate that the growing area of this wine lies exactly in the area where the borders of the dioceses of Acqui Terme, Alessandria and Asti meet.
The Barbera is a characterful and high-quality red grape variety from Piedmont, which is not particularly well known in the rest of Europe. Nevertheless, it is one of the most important, oldest, and most common Italian grape varieties. Sources report on the Barbera as early as the 13th century and refer to the Monferrato growing area, which is still known today.
The Barbera vine is the one that best represents the Vinchio Vaglio wine cooperative, located in the picturesque village of Vinchio between the famous towns of Asti and Alba. The soils of the hills around the localities Vinchio, Vaglio and the neighbouring villages are calcareous, neutral, or sub-alkaline and therefore ideal for the cultivation of this plant. So, in a way, the excellent quality of Barbera wine is the symbol of Vinchio Vaglio.
The grapes for the "I Tre Vescovi" Barbera d'Asti Superiore DOCG are harvested by hand at the end of September and transported to the wine cellar as quickly as possible. Then the grapes, which have ripened at an average altitude of 250 m on slopes facing south, are selected for their sugar and polyhydric phenol content. After pressing, the maceration process takes place at a controlled temperature in programmable machines. Alcoholic fermentation with maceration lasts seven to eight days at a constant temperature of around 26°C to optimally extract the aromas of the grapes. During the maceration, automatic pumping is carried out at regular intervals in order to extract the polyphenolic substances contained in the grape skins.
The expansion begins immediately after the alcoholic fermentation is complete, with malolactic fermentation in stainless steel tanks at a temperature of 18°C. After fermentation, the wine matures in 75 hl French oak barrels and in barriques, where it rests for about 12 months. Finally, this Barbera remains in stainless steel for a month before it begins its final maturation in the bottle.
The "I Tre Vescovi" Barbera d'Asti Superiore DOCG is a ruby red with slightly garnet reflections. The bouquet is complex and spicy with hints of clove, pepper, eucalyptus, tobacco, and vanilla. At the end there is a caramelized note. The taste is dry, spicy, and fruity with aromas of dried figs and a finish of great elegance.
At an optimal serving temperature of 18 to 20°C, we recommend this Piedmontese, highly decorated by wine critics, with pasta with meat or mushroom sauces, lasagne, red braised or roasted meat and dishes with game. Also excellent with all spicy cheeses.
- Vintage: 2018
- Ageing: Dry
- Country: Italy
- Region: Piedmont
- Volume: 0,75 liters
- Producer and bottler: Vinchio Vaglio - Regione San Pancrazio 1 - 14040 Vinchio (AT) - Italia - +39 0141 950903
- Quality Designation: Denominazione di Origine Controllata e Garantita (DOCG)
- Grape: 100% Barbera
- Characterization: After the first selection for "Barbera Vigne Vecchie" grapes, the remaining grapes with higher sugar-content are used to make the Barbera d'Asti "Superiore". The Name "Superiore" (superior) is only given if wine meets high quality standards: Grapes must have a natural higher sugar-content and wine must be aged for twelve months, six of which in oak barrels.
- Sensory characteristics: Complex and spicy bouquet with hints of cloves, pepper, eucalyptus, tobacco and vanilla. At the end a caramelized note. Characteristic Barbera taste with an optimal body. Dry, spicy and fruity on the palate with aromas of dried figs and a finish of great elegance.
- Color: Ruby red with light garnet reflections.
- Alcohol content: 14,0 % Vol.
- Stopper: Natural cork
- How to serve: Tasty first courses, with meat or mushroom sauces. It also is excellent with matured, spicy and marbled cheeses.
- Recommended serving temperature: Between 18 and 20°C.
- Allergens: Contains sulfites
- EAN (bottle): 8030227002121
- Scope of supply: 1 bottle of wine 0.75 liters
BARBERA is a red grape variety from Piedmont in northwestern Italy and a high quality grape. It is one of the most important and common Italian varietals. The Barbera was already famous in the 13th century. Even then, the still significant growing region Monferrato was famous for this variety. The wines are considered powerful, with pronounced plum flavors, low tannin with full "body" and a deep-ruby color.
Protection of minors: We deliver this article only to adults of unlimited legal capacity and reserve the right to demand appropriate proof of age. The data required for the order, such as name, address, etc., must be provided in full and truthfully.