SOVRANA Barbera d’Alba DOC 2019
"Sovrana" Barbera d’Alba DOC 2019 / Batasiolo / Piedmont
Red wine from Italy
Beni di Batasiolo is the story of the Dogliani family. The family has lived the world of wine for five generations in Italy’s Langhe district, whose vineyards have contributed immensely to making Italian wines famous the world over. In these lands of oblique light and veiled mists, the Dogliani family has lived through the many changes in the recent history of these fields, which perhaps have seen more transformations in the last fifty years than over the centuries before. In 1978, the Dogliani family purchased the historic Kiola winery with its seven “beni,” or “estate,” in the internationally renowned zone for growing the celebrated Nebbiolo da Barolo grape. This is a place where, by tradition, the idea of “beni” takes on tangible value: the vines, the farmsteads, the people living and working there and the evocative landscape of soft, rolling hills and orderly vineyards. This is the experience the wines of the Langhe have always offered the world.
Barbera is a red grape variety from Piedmont in north-western Italy and is a characterful, high-quality grape, but without a representative that is particularly well-known in Europe. Nevertheless, it is one of the most important and common Italian grape varieties. Sources report on Barbera as early as the 13th century and refer to the Monferrato growing region, which is still important today. The wines from this grape are considered powerful, with pronounced plum aromas, low tannin with full "body" and a deep ruby red color. They retain their body, i.e., their strong acidity, even when growing up in a hot climate, where they can reach an alcohol content of up to 14% vol.
The vines for the Sovrana Barbera d'Alba are in the Barbera d'Alba D.O.C. area near the famous truffle town of Alba. Here the manual harvest usually takes place in the first half of October. The grapes are then carefully separated from the stems and gently pressed. Fermentation takes place in stainless steel tanks for approximately ten to twelve days. After malolactic fermentation, 30 to 40% of the total mass goes into French oak barrels, where this part is refined. The other part of the mass completes its aging in large Slavonian oak barrels. The two parts are then joined together and given another resting period in stainless steel tanks. The "Sovrana" Barbera d'Alba DOC then undergoes the final refinement in its bottle.
This Piedmont red wine offers an intense and persistent olfactory expression with hints of red and ripe fruits and cherries in alcohol. This is accompanied by pleasantly spicy notes with delicate wood and floral notes. On the palate, the freshness harmonises with the evident alcohol content, which is absolutely pleasant. The acid is nicely integrated, and the drop is very aromatic. Overall balanced and of medium length with a subtle hint of wood. It manifests an intensity and persistence that is typical of great wines.
At a recommended drinking temperature of around 16 to 18°C, the Barbera d'Alba is a perfect accompaniment to appetizers, pasta dishes, risotto, and white and red meat. Fantastic with aged cheeses. Thanks to its very delicate tannins, it can even be served with fish dishes.
- Vintage: 2019
- Ageing: Dry
- Country: Italy
- Region: Piedmont
- Volume: 0,75 liters
- Producer and bottler: Beni di Batasiolo - Fr. Annunziata 87 - 12064 La Morra (CN) - Italia - +39 0173 50130
- Quality Designation: Denominazione di Origine Controllata (DOC)
- Grape: 100% Barbera from the Alba zone.
- Winemaking: The grapes are hand-picked in the first half of October. After that, they are carefully separated from the stems and gently squeezed. Fermentation takes place in stainless steel tanks for about 10 to 12 days. After malolactic fermentation, 30 to 40% of the total mass ends up in French oak barrels, where this part is refined. The other part of the mass completes its aging in large Slavonian oak barrels. The two parts are then put together and given a further rest period in stainless steel tanks. This Barbera then gets the final refinement in its bottle.
- Sensory characteristics: It offers an intense and persistent olfactory expression with hints of red and ripe fruits and cherries in alcohol. Pleasantly spicy notes with delicate wood and floral notes. On the palate, the freshness harmonizes an obvious alcohol content, which is, however, absolutely pleasant. Nice acidity and very aromatic. Balanced and of medium length with a subtle hint of wood. It manifests an intensity and persistence that is typical of great wines.
- Color: Intense ruby red with garnet reflections.
- Alcohol content: 14,0 % Vol.
- Acid: 5,40 g/l
- Residual sugar: 2,90 g/l
- Total extract: 27,55 g/l
- Sulphite: 92 mg/l
- Ph value: 3,44
- Stopper: Natural cork
- How to serve: The Sovrana goes well with starters, pasta dishes, risotto and with white and red meat. Delicious with aged cheese. Thanks to its very delicate tannins, it can even be served with fish dishes.
- Recommended serving temperature: Between 16 and 18°C.
- Allergens: Contains sulfites
- EAN (bottle): 8002820002396
- Scope of supply: 1 bottle of wine 0.75 liters
BARBERA is a red grape variety from Piedmont in north-western Italy and a high-quality grape. It is one of the most important and common Italian varietals. The Barbera was already famous in the 13th century. Even then, the still significant growing region Monferrato was famous for this variety. The wines are considered powerful, with pronounced plum flavours, low tannin with full "body" and a deep-ruby colour.
Protection of minors: We deliver this article only to adults of unlimited legal capacity and reserve the right to demand appropriate proof of age. The data required for the order, such as name, address, etc., must be provided in full and truthfully.