Tolloy Pinot Grigio Alto Adige DOC 2020
Pinot Grigio Alto Adige DOC 2020 / Tolloy / South-Tirol
White wine from Italy
At the bottom, narrower part of the Adige valley and on the hills surrounding the old village of Salorno, winegrowing has become an art due to centuries of experience and tireless work by its wine growers. This art is expressed in the quality of Tolloy.
The "land lying amongst mountains" as Alto Adige (South Tyrol) used to be called in the old days, is one of the most colourful landscapes in Europe. The gentle hills surrounding the village of Salorno ensure lush and flourishing vineyards thanks to the presence of the Alps which shelter them from the cold North winds. This terroir is particularly well suited due to its dry climate and long periods of mild temperatures which guarantee a perfect ripening of the grapes. The large influx of travellers saw this area develop several accommodation facilities which lead to opening inns and holding important meetings and decisions made by innkeepers. The wine Tolloy has been named after one of the most renowned of these innkeepers from the early 18th century, Johann Tolloy. Tolloy is a prestige line of wines from Alto Adige produced through a collaboration between Mezzacorona and the Salorno wine-cellar.
The Pinot Grigio grape variety has been grown in the Adige Valley for a long time, where it is also known under the name Ruländer. The shape of the grapes and their gray-reddish colour reveal the close relationship with the Pinot Nero, from which it apparently originates. It is grown both in the valley and on low hills. The Pinot Grigio is also known under the name Grauburgunder. It provides low-acid, but full-bodied and extract-rich grapes that often appear gray.
The grapes for the Tolloy Pinot Grigio Alto Adige DOC are harvested between the beginning of September and mid-October. The exact time of harvest cannot be decided in advance due to the different microclimates and height profiles of the vineyards and is determined individually by the winemaker while observing the degree of ripeness of the fruit. After the harvest, the grapes are immediately transported to the wine cellar, destemmed, and crushed. Then the traditional white winemaking begins with brief maceration on the skin at a controlled temperature of around 18 to 20°C.
The result is a Pinot Grigio, which is characterized by its balance, finesse, and elegance. Its bouquet is delicate and fruity with subtle hints of vanilla. On the palate, this white wine is dry, elegant, full, and extremely soft. The mild acidity is hardly noticeable.
Chilled at around 10 to 12°C, the Pinot Grigio from the Adige Valley is ideal as an aperitif. It is also an excellent accompaniment to seafood, fish soups, white meat, egg dishes and dishes based on mushrooms.
- Vintage: 2020
- Ageing: Dry
- Country: Italy
- Region: South-Tirol
- Volume: 0,75 liters
- Producer and bottler: Mezzacorona/NOSIO SPA - Via del Teroldego 1/E - 38016 Mezzocorona (TN) - Italia - +39 0461 616399
- Quality Designation: Denominazione di Origine Controllata (DOC)
- Grape: 100% Pinot Grigio. The grapes come from the vineyards of Cantina Tolloy in South Tyrol, all of which are located in the valley and on low hills.
- Winemaking: The copper-colored grapes are compact and very sweet. Traditional white winemaking with short skin maceration at a controlled temperature of approx. 18-20°C.
- Sensory characteristics: This Pinot Grigio is characterized by its balance, finesse, and elegance. On the nose a delicate and fruity bouquet with hints of chamomile. The taste is dry, elegant, full, and very soft. Mild acidity.
- Color: Straw yellow
- Alcohol content: 13% Vol.
- Residual sugar: 3,3 g/l
- Acidity: 5,4 g/l
- Stopper: Natural cork
- How to serve: Tolloy's Pinot Grigio goes well with seafood, fish soups, white meat and mushroom dishes.
- Recommended serving temperature: Between 10 and 12°C.
- Allergens: Contains sulfites
- EAN (bottle): 8004305030504
- Scope of supply: 1 bottle of wine 0.75 liters
The PINOT GRIGIO grape variety has been grown in the Adige Valley for a long time, where it is also known as the Ruländer. The shape of the grapes and their gray-red color reveal their close relationship with the Pinot Nero from which they seem to come. It is grown both in the valley and on low hills. The PINOT GRIGIO is also known as Pinot Gris. It delivers low-acid grapes that are full of body and extract and often gray.
Protection of minors: We deliver this article only to adults of unlimited legal capacity and reserve the right to demand appropriate proof of age. The data required for the order, such as name, address, etc., must be provided in full and truthfully.