VIGNE VECCHIE Barbera d'Asti Superiore DOCG 2016
"Vigne Vecchie" Barbera d'Asti Superiore DOCG 2016 / Vinchio Vaglio / Piedmont
Red wine from Italy
The wine cooperative Vinchio Vaglio is based in the picturesque village of Vinchio between the famous cities of Asti and Alba in Piedmont in northern Italy. The areas of Vinchio and Vaglio Serra in Piedmont have always been considered the best to produce the Barbera grape. Thus, the centre for the production of Barbera wines developed here.
The Barbera is a characterful and high-quality red grape variety from Piedmont, which is not particularly well known in the rest of Europe. Nevertheless, it is one of the most important, oldest, and most common Italian grape varieties. Sources report on the Barbera as early as the 13th century and refer to the Monferrato growing area, which is still known today.
In the area of activity of the winery there are very old Barbera vineyards, which were planted before the Second World War. They are vineyards with a very narrow floor plan, with very steep slopes and an exceptional exposure. The grapes of the "Vigne Vecchie" are by far the sugariest and retain a high level of quality even in the less favourable years.
These grapes are harvested in 20 kg boxes, with the grapes with the best ripeness index being selected from all the vineyards examined. The grapes of this selection are pressed under the careful control of the winery's winemakers. The maceration takes place in vertical fermenters with leaching and temperature control programming. After about ten days of maceration, the wine is drawn off. After the malolactic fermentation has ended, it is refined in small 225-liter French oak barrels. The residence time is determined from time to time according to the vintage and the characteristics of the wine (the time is directly proportional to the structure of the product itself). Monthly organoleptic controls follow its development and finally the right time for bottling is determined.
The VIGNE VECCHIE (old vines) Barbera d'Asti Superiore DOCG shines with a brilliant ruby red with light orange reflections. On the nose, this Barbera is intense, ethereal, spicy, and slightly woody. Slight chocolate aromas can be seen. On the palate it has a good structure, is dry and light. Its tannins are sweet and subtle. The finish is persistent and long-lasting.
At a recommended drinking temperature of around 18 to 20°C, this fantastic red wine is an ideal accompaniment to spicy pasta dishes with meat or mushroom sauces. In addition, this Barbera goes well with main courses made from red meat (braised or roasted) and game. After all, it also tastes good - at the end of the meal - with blue cheese and other strongly flavoured and/or savoury cheeses.
- Vintage: 2016
- Ageing: Dry
- Country: Italy
- Region: Piedmont
- Volume: 0,75 liters
- Producer and bottler: Vinchio Vaglio - Regione San Pancrazio 1 - 14040 Vinchio (AT) - Italia - +39 0141 950903
- Quality Designation: Denominazione di Origine Controllata e Garantita (DOCG)
- Grape: 100% Barbera from very old vines.
- Vinification and refinement: Manual harvest of the best-ripened grapes. Maceration after renewed selection for 10 days at a controlled temperature. After malolactic fermentation, aging begins in small 225 liter French oak barrels. The length of time spent in the wood is determined individually by the winemaker depending on the vintage.
- Sensory characteristics: Its bouquet is strong, ethereal, spicy and slightly "boisé" (woody flavour). Very light chocolate flavors. It is a full-bodied wine, soft and long-lasting, with light and sweet tannins.
- Color: Bright ruby red with light-orange overtones.
- Alcohol content: 15,0 % Vol.
- Residual sugar: 2,0 g/l
- Total acid: 5,7 g/l
- Stopper: Natural cork
- How to serve: With tasty first courses with meat or mushroomsauces. It goes well with red meats and game. It is also suitable with matured, spicy and herb cheeses.
- Recommended serving temperature: Between 18 and 20°C.
- Allergens: Contains sulfites
- EAN (bottle): 8030227005092
- Scope of supply: 1 bottle of wine 0.75 liters
BARBERA is a red grape variety from Piedmont in northwestern Italy and a high quality grape. It is one of the most important and common Italian varietals. The Barbera was already famous in the 13th century. Even then, the still significant growing region Monferrato was famous for this variety. The wines are considered powerful, with pronounced plum flavors, low tannin with full "body" and a deep-ruby color.
Protection of minors: We deliver this article only to adults of unlimited legal capacity and reserve the right to demand appropriate proof of age. The data required for the order, such as name, address, etc., must be provided in full and truthfully.